Sunday, September 11, 2016

a Manhattan in Manhattan


So it's been fifteen years, and what shall I write in memory of such obscenity?
When it happened, we had just left the US to move momentarily back to Europe and New York was still under my skin.
I remember the appalment and nausea I felt once we got news of what had happened, and seeing ourselves in the faces and stories of the victims.
We were the ones on the observation deck on the south tower, watching the planes flying down below, as they approached one of the city airports. We were the ones on those planes that had just taken off from Newark, as we had done so many times, with my baby in my lap as we marvelled at the Manhattan skyline from the plane window.

I remember realising that our condition of freedom had suddenly become uncertain. A feeling that still lingers.

And most of all I remember thinking of that day when my parents and my sister were visiting and we had taken them on the Top of the World to watch the sunset, sipping on a Manhattan, in Manhattan.
And it's clear to me that the most vivid memories of every country I have lived in, are the ones I shared with my family during their visits.
A certain museum we visited in Tokyo, that boat tour across the Pedro Miguel Locks in the Panama Canal, the dusty Bangkok markets with my Mom.

Although we had been on the Towers plenty of other times, that Manhattan with them in Manhattan is my most precious memory and my tribute to a moment that will never return.


---------------------------------------------------------

Che scrivere nel quindicesimo anniversario di quello scempio?
Quando è successo avevamo da poco lasciato gli Stati Uniti per trasferirci in Europa, e New York era ancora mia.
Mi ricordo il voltastomaco che ho provato rivedendo noi stessi nei volti delle vittime.
Noi in cima alle Torri a osservare gli aerei giù in basso che si preparavano ad atterrare ad uno dei tre aeroporti di New York. Noi su quegli aerei partiti da Newark, come avevamo fatto innumerevoli volte, con mio figlio piccolo seduto in braccio, osservando incantati lo skyline di Manhattan dal finestrino.

Ricordo l'incertezza riguardo alla nostra condizione di libertà che è nata quel giorno e non se n'è più andata.

E più di tutto ricordo quel giorno in cui con i miei genitori e mia sorella che erano venuti a trovarci, guardavamo il tramonto dall'osservatorio in cima alla Torre sud, il Top of the World Observation Deck, sorseggiando un Manhattan, a Manhattan.
E mi accorgo che di ogni paese in cui ho vissuto, i ricordi più vividi sono quelli dei momenti in cui i miei venivano a trovarci.
Un certo museo visitato con loro a Tokyo, quel giro in barca nelle chiuse del canale di Panama, i mercati polverosi di Bangkok con mia Mamma.

Nonostante siamo stati tante volte sulle Torri, quel Manhattan a Manhattan con loro è il mio ricordo più caro e il mio tributo ad un momento irripetibile.

(pic by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment