Tuesday, November 20, 2018

of midlife crisis -- sulla crisi di mezza età


So my lovely husband told me he dreamt about buying himself such a big motorbike that at traffic lights he had to jump off 'cos he couldn't reach the ground. 
Speaking of which, I just read something about midlife crisis. It was a quote that said:

"Midlife crisis is when you reach the top of the ladder and find that it was against the wrong wall."

I don't know why I got such a big WTF out of this. 
Perhaps it had to do with the motorbike thing. Or maybe it's because it feels like I did nothing but hold other people's ladders for all these years, I held them firmly in place when they were standing on uneven ground, so that the climb could go on. 

My ladder needs no wall. 
Every expat woman who followed her man around the world knows what I am talking about. It's one of those models that can stand alone, the double ones shaped like an A. 
The wall has changed so often, that we've learned to do without. 

Our ladder can stand in the middle of the desert, of a hurricane, of Times Square, of Christmas with the in-laws and it still won't budge.

I've climbed it up and down so many times that I could do it with my eyes closed, spinning a dish on my nose while juggling 12 tennis balls (and a racquet).

I could tour the world with a circus.

Which come to think of it, is precisely what I have been doing. 

------------------------------

Mio marito mi ha detto che ha sognato che si era comprato una moto così grossa che ai semafori doveva scendere perché non toccava per terra. Guarda caso avevo appena letto un articolo riguardo alla crisi di mezza età, che diceva:

"La crisi di mezza età è quando raggiungi la cima della scala e ti accorgi che era appoggiata al muro sbagliato".

Non so perché mi ha fatto così incazzare, non so, forse era il sogno della moto.
O forse è perché mi sembra di non aver fatto altro per tutti questi anni se non tenere la scala degli altri, tenerla ben ferma quando il terreno era sconnesso, perché potessero continuare a salire. 

La mia scala non ha bisogno di nessun muro. 
Ogni moglie expat che ha seguito il proprio marito in giro per il mondo sa cosa intendo. È uno di quei modelli a forma di A che stanno su da soli.
Il muro è cambiato così sovente che abbiamo imparato a farne a meno.

La nostra scala sta in piedi nel deserto, in mezzo a un uragano, a Times Square, al Natale coi suoceri, senza fare una piega

Sono salita e scesa così tante volte che potrei farlo con gli occhi chiusi, bilanciando un piatto sul naso mentre faccio il giocoliere con 12 palle da tennis (e una racchetta).

Potrei girare il mondo con un circo.

Che a pensarci bene è poi esattamente quello che ho fatto

(Pic by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment