Sunday, November 3, 2019

of parents-teachers conferences -- sull'ultimo incontro con gli insegnanti


This past week I had my very last parents-teachers conferences. I went through this process for 15 years from when my son was in 1st Kindergarten and I sat on the little chair nodding while listening to his teacher tell me all the things he could do better and making a mental list of fuck-yous at each and every one of them. There was nothing wrong with him, he was just always with one foot in reality an the other foot in the milky way


Fast forward through several schools and countries around the world and here we are, at the final stretch before also my daughter is done with school. 
We went through a constellation of roughly perhaps 100 teachers between both of my kids and unfortunately I cannot say that any of them really ever fulfilled their more important role as mentors, no life-changing inspirational input ever came from any of them. There were excellent and awful teachers, but not a single one my kids are going to thank in their autobiographies for having changed their lives. 

Teachers are always stressed. Through the years I have understood that they are like first time moms: they want you to know they have it harder than anybody else in the world, and they think they deserve a badge of honour for it. 

The hardest part often was not trying to compensate my kids' teachers' shortcomings, but rather always taking their side in the eyes of my kids, in spite of those shortcomings. 
Because at least this they needed to learn: good or bad, the teacher is your superior and regardless of what you think (or how you FEEL to be perfectly postmodern), you SUCK IT UP and do what you are supposed to do

You carry your responsibility without excuses

Because excuses are the bullshit that stands between what you are and what you can be. (This is not my quote and I am pretty sure I am paraphrasing).

So imagine my daughter's surprise when last week I walked into the meetings with a COMPLETE change of attitude: I took my daughter's side ON EVERYTHING
What do you mean she doesn't study enough? She studies ALL THE TIME. 
What do you mean she is messy with her school stuff? Do you think Mozart and Leonardo were tidy people? 

My daughter was flabbergasted. 
I don't know if she was more happy for what she was hearing or more concerned that I had lost my mind. Instead of making mental lists, I laid my fuck-yous very politely on the table. I don't know why, but it certainly had to do with it being the last time. 

It was like SALES at the end of the season. 

It was a badge of honour to her, my girl, who is messy and could study more, but lives at least 3 different existences all jammed into one and twirls around life with a smile on her face and I have no concern about the person she is going to be, because bullshit excuses are such unknown terms in her vocabulary, that I am sure that whatever the challenge, she will rise to the occasion. 


-----------

La settimana scorsa ho avuto il mio ultimo colloquio coi professori di mia figlia. Ho dovuto sottopormi a questa tortura per 15 anni da quando mio figlio era nella prima classe di asilo e io me ne stavo seduta sulla seggiolina in miniatura mentre annuivo ascoltando la lista delle cose che secondo la maestra mio figlio doveva migliorare. E intanto facevo una bella lista mentale di vaffanculo a ogni suggerimento perché sapevo benissimo che non c'è niente in lui che non va, semplicemente vive con un piede tra di noi e l'altro nella via lattea

Fast forward diversi anni, scuole e nazioni ed eccoci qui, a pochi mesi dal traguardo dove anche mia figlia avrà finito la scuola. 
In questi 15 anni abbiamo avuto a che fare su per giù con un centinaio di insegnanti, e purtroppo devo dire che nessuno di loro ha mai svolto quella funzione fondamentale di mentore, nessuna rivelazione sconvolgente, nessuna ispirazione. Ci sono stati insegnanti ottimi e altri deleteri, ma nessuno di loro riceverà ringraziamenti nelle autobiografie dei miei figli.

Gli insegnanti sono sempre stressati. In questi anni ho capito che sono come le madri al primo figlio: vogliono far sapere a tutti che fanno una vita più difficile di chiunque altro, e pensano di meritarsi una medaglia d'onore

La cosa più difficile non è stato tanto cercare di rimediare le mancanze degli insegnanti, quanto prendere sempre le loro parti di fronte ai miei figli nonostante le suddette mancanze. Perché la lezione fondamentale era che non importa chi sia il tuo insegnante, si tratta in ogni caso del tuo superiore e indipendentemente da quello che tu pensi devi ingoiare il rospo e fare il tuo dovere. 

Ognuno porta la propria fetta di responsabilità senza scuse.

Perché le scuse sono solo cazzate disseminate come mine sul cammino del tuo potenziale. 

Quindi immaginatevi la sorpresa di mia figlia quando la settimana scorsa mi sono presentata ai colloqui coi suoi insegnanti e ho preso le sue parti su TUTTO:
Come non studia abbastanza? Ma se studia TUTTO IL GIORNO!
Come è disordinata? Pensate forse che Mozart e Leonardo fossero persone ordinate?

Mia figlia non ci poteva credere.
Non so se fosse più felice di questa nuova versione di mamma o più preoccupata che mi fosse dato di volta il cervello. Questa volta invece di fare la solita lista mentale, ho messo giù sul tavolo (in maniera educata) tutti i miei bei vaffanculo. Non so perché, probabilmente perché sapevo che era l'ultima occasione. 

Era come i saldi a fine stagione. 

È stata una medaglia d'onore a lei, la mia piccola, che è disordinatissima e potrebbe studiare di più, ma vive per lo meno 3 esistenze allo stesso tempo tutte cacciate dentro 24 ore e volteggia attraverso la vita con il sorriso e non ho nessun dubbio riguardo alla persona che potrà diventare, perché non trova mai scuse, di fronte a ogni sfida tira su la testa e ci si ficca. 




2 comments:

  1. Che bellissima descrizione hai fatto, di tua figlia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Cara, aspetta che vado di là a scrivere una cosa sul tuo blog, che ci penso da un po'...

      Delete