Thursday, March 22, 2018

of unrequited love -- sull'amore non corrisposto



I have never been turned down. By any man, job or school. I think it's because I have a sort of playfulness that somehow always gets me through. 
Also, I have no boundaries
Oliver is the only one who didn't want me. And made all my certainties crumble. I was 13. 
We was my best friend's cousin's best friend, so it happened that this cousin had a basement in his home where we had replaced all lightbulbs with coloured ones, and we had a stereo: our own private disco. There were no windows in the basement, so even if we got together at 2 in the afternoon after school, we could pretend it was our night club. Our parents had no clue. They thought we were doing homework.
We played Hotel California and Ever Since the World Began, from the LP Rocky III, we let the boys hold us and danced. I fell in love with Oliver because he was kind and a bit shy, and when we danced his sweater would smell of fried food. I figured it was because his Mom was from Germany, and they had nothing but Krapfen for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
It was an unrequited love. 
A couple of weeks ago I was in Italy visiting my parents. I had just parked in front of their house and was taking my bag from the trunk of the car. And out of nowhere appears this handsome man and says: "Hi... I am Oliver..."
I hadn't seen him in years. He is still kind and a bit shy, and my heart ached in longing for the kids we once were. He said his Mom died and the thought of the smell of Krapfen on his sweater made me want to hold him again.
I said I was really sorry for his loss and then, because, as I said, I have no boundaries, I said: "I was in love with you, you know?" And he smiled with the same longing for the kids we once were, and then we said goodbye. 


-----------------------------------------

Non sono mai stata rifiutata da nessun uomo, lavoro o scuola. Penso che sia perché ho un modo di fare un po' giocoso che in qualche modo funge da lasciapassare. Inoltre non conosco limiti
Oliver è stato l'unico a non volermi. E ha sbriciolato tutte le mie certezze. Avevo 13 anni.
Era il migliore amico del cugino della mia migliore amica e questo cugino aveva una tavernetta nella sua casa dove avevamo sostituito tutte le lampadine con altre colorate, c'era uno stereo, e voilà la discoteca. Era una tavernetta senza finestre così anche se ci andavamo alle 2 dopo scuola sembrava di essere in un night club. I nostri genitori pensava facessimo i compiti.
Mettevamo la cassetta di Hotel California, o Ever Since the World Began, una canzone lenta e meravigliosa dell'LP Rocky III. I ragazzi ci prendevano fra le braccia e ballavamo i lenti. Mi sono innamorata di Oliver perché era gentile e un po' timido, e quando ballavo con lui, il suo maglione sapeva di fritto. Pensavo che fosse perché sua Mamma era tedesca, quindi probabilmente mangiavano solo Krapfen a colazione, pranzo e cena. 
Era un amore non corrisposto.
Un paio di settimane fa ero in Italia a trovare i miei. Avevo appena parcheggiato davanti a casa loro e stavo prendendo la borsa dal bagagliaio. E improvvisamente mi appare davanti quest'uomo sorridente e mi dice: "Ciao... sono Oliver..."
Non ci vedevamo da decenni. È ancora gentile e un po' timido e nel cuore ho avuto una fitta di malinconia per quei ragazzini nella tavernetta. Ha detto che sua Madre è morta e il ricordo del profumo di Krapfen sul suo maglione mi ha fatto venire voglia di abbracciarlo d nuovo. 
Gli ho detto che mi dispiaceva tanto per sua Mamma, e poi, siccome come ho detto non conosco limiti, gli ho detto: "Ero innamorata di te, sai?" e lui ha sorriso con la stessa malinconia per quei ragazzini nella tavernetta e poi ci siamo salutati. 

(pic by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment