Sunday, January 7, 2018

of Marcella -- su Marcella



So a couple of days ago, one of the teachers from my Liceo in Italy passed away. Liceo freely translates as high school, but "high school" is barely the square root of what our Liceo used to be. We had latin and greek and latin and greek literature IN LATIN AND GREEK! Not to mention philosophy! (Not sure what that is...) It was tough. 
I still don't know how I went through it, given all distractions I had at the time (boys). 

Professor G. was our Italian teacher and she passed away at the wise old age of 95. 

The thing is that I thought she was already 95 when she was my teacher.

So I checked with my friend Michelle, who for many years shared my school tribulations and hobbies (boys), and realised that no, she was not 95 when she taught us. 
She was 65. 

And although it seems like just a few days went by since Michelle and I sat in our desks terrified at the thought that she might ask us a question (because we had been busy with our favourite hobby instead of studying) (boys), we were actually the same age our kids are now. 
And even our parents were younger than we are now. 

Professor G. was a tough and somewhat ancient teacher. All the students were terrified of her. I remember that on the very first essay I wrote in her class, I got an A. She liked the way I wrote and I think this has often given me a free pass with her, when I was not as accurate as I should be in my studying or got carried away by too many after-school activities(boys). 

After we graduated, one evening she invited our class at her home for a drink. She lived alone and I remember that all the walls of her tiny home were covered by books. Together with all the classics were rows and rows of cheap romantic novels, the same ones I read in the summer on the beach hoping my mother would never pick up one, or she'd find out that the characters were actually doing it, and in great detail. I remember the feeling of tenderness and sisterhood when I realised that this woman of limitless culture was enjoying them too. 

In those books I learned one of the basic truths about love and sex. Those our parents never cared to mention, probably believing that the mechanics of it was all we really needed. I already passed this truth on to my kids, to make sure they know that the mechanics of it are absolutely NOT all they really need.

I learned that for women, it's not about the actual deed (boys), but it's all about the ALMOST. 

---------------------

Un paio di giorni fa è morta una mia vecchia insegnante del liceo. Cavoli com'era difficile il liceo, con greco e latino, e letteratura greca e latina IN GRECO E LATINO! Per non parlare di filosofia, ma che cavolo sarà mai questa filosofia? Era difficile e ancora non mi capacito di esserci uscita incolume, soprattutto viste tutte le distrazioni che avevo al tempo (maschili).

La Professoressa G. era la nostra insegnante di Italiano ed è mancata alla veneranda età di 95 anni

Il fatto è che pensavo che già quando eravamo al liceo avesse 95 anni.

Così ho chiesto a Michelle, mia compagna di banco e di avventure (maschili), con la quale per anni ho condiviso l'angoscia di essere interrogata sapendo benissimo che invece di studiare ci eravamo dedicate tutta la domenica ai nostri hobby preferiti (maschili) e ho scoperto che allora non aveva 95 anni, ma 65.
E che noi avevamo l'età dei nostri figli. E perfino i nostri genitori erano più giovani di quanto lo siamo noi adesso. 

Ci deve essere un errore. Se al liceo classico avessimo fatto più matematica, lo troverei. 

Con la Professoressa G. non si scherzava. Non ci cascava quando cercavamo di farci venire la febbre finta stando accanto al termosifone per poter andare a casa. Era severa e incuteva un certo terrore antico. Mi ricordo che al mio primo tema nella sua classe ha dato un 8. Le piaceva il mio modo di scrivere e ho sempre avuto la sensazione che per questo chiudesse un po' un occhio quando non sapevo tutto durante le interrogazioni per le troppe attività extra-scolatiche (maschili). 

Dopo la maturità, una sera d'estate la Professoressa G. aveva invitato tutta la classe a bere qualcosa nella sua minuscola casa in cui viveva sola. Aveva scaffali e scaffali di libri, e vicino ai classici c'erano anche i libri Harmony, quelli con le storie d'amore che anch'io leggevo in spiaggia durante l'estate sperando che mia mamma non scoprisse che erano tutt'altro che innocenti e che anzi i personaggi lo facevano con dovizia di particolari.  Mi ricordo che mi fece tenerezza pensare che anche una donna di lettere come lei li leggesse. E senza nasconderli. 

Fra l'altro grazie a quei libri ho imparato uno dei principi fondamentali dell'amore e del sesso. Uno di quelli che i nostri genitori non ci hanno mai spiegato, convinti che per spaventarci bastassero già gli aspetti meccanici. 
Ho condiviso questa perla di saggezza con i miei figli, per assicurarmi che sappiano che c'è molto di più degli aspetti meccanici. 

Ho imparato che per noi donne è tutta una questione di QUASI

(pic by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment