Thursday, March 9, 2017

of the student at Starbucks -- sullo studente da Starbucks


So today I got in the mail the first book for the MBA I am starting in a few days. It’s a book about Management. And what did I do to counter the panic of having once again set foot in uncharted territories? No I didn’t sharpen all my pencils, nor did I rush to buy a new Moleskine notebook to make me feel chic and knowledgeable, nor did I google “Management” to see what exactly I have put myself into. Nossir. 

Instead, I went to Starbucks

I put on one of my teenage daughter’s oversized scarves, my reading glasses and my hair up in a messy bun. Then I walked in, ordered whatever Strappuccino the person in front of me was having (because of my reading glasses I couldn’t make out anything on the menu on the wall) but with soy milk and a sprinkle of organic cocoa to feel more millennial, and then I sat at a table among my fellow students. Loved it!

I peeked to see what the 20-something kid with big headphones at the table next to me was studying (diagram of an eye, been there done that) and then I thought about Princeton
When I lived there, I saw those students at Starbucks and thought that if I paid that kind of money to send my kids to university and then caught them “studying” at Starbucks, I’d disown them and never speak to them again.
Probably exactly what my kids would do to me if they walked by at this very moment and caught me playing millennial

----------------------------

Allora oggi mi è arrivato nella posta il primo libro per l’MBA che inizierò fra qualche giorno. Si intitiola Management. E che cosa ho fatto per arginare il panico di essermi come sempre messa nei casini? No, non ho temperato ossessivamente tutte le mie matite, né sono corsa a comprare un nuovo quaderno Moleskine per sentirmi più elegante e competente, e non ho nemmeno cercato su Google “Management” per capire esattamente in cosa mi fossi messa. Nossignore. 

Sono andata da Starbucks

Mi sono messa una delle sciarpe XL di mia figlia adolescente, i miei occhiali da lettura e mi sono tirata su i capelli in uno chingnon spettinato, ero pronta. Poi sono entrata, ho ordinato lostesso Strappuccino che ha preso la persona davanti a me (visto che con gli occhiali da lettura non vedevo un tubo del menu appeso dietro) ma con latte di soia e una spruzzatina di cacao bio per essere più millennial, e poi ho preso posto tra i miei compari studenti. Fantastico!


Ho sbirciato per vedere cosa stesse studiando il ventenne sgarrupato con le cuffie enormi seduto al tavolo di fianco (diagramma dell’occhio, già fatto) e mi è venuto in mente quando vivevo a Princeton
Vedevo gli studenti da Starbucks e pensavo che se io avessi pagato tutti quegli zillioni perchè i miei figli potessero frequentare l'università di Princeton e poi li avessi beccati a “studiare” da Starbucks, li avrei diseredati e non gli avrei mai più rivolto la parola.
Precisamente cosa succederebbe a me se i miei figli dovessero per caso mai beccarmi da Starbucks a fare la millennial...  

(pic by me, all rights reserved)

2 comments: