Wednesday, February 27, 2019

of my love for this country -- dell'amore per questo paese


So this week I got two tickets, one was from the Zürich police and one from Italy. 

The latter one was for a highway toll that I supposedly failed to pay, and it was from September 2016. Strangely though, the payment request came from an unknown private company that, as I discovered after checking it out online, is responsible for managing and collecting tolls for some specific stretches of Italian highways. 
It still didn't feel 100% legit, although I am quite aware of Italy's fondness for fragmentation and unnecessary bureaucratic hurdles. So I looked for more information and ran into some reviews of this company. 
They were not too exciting.
  • Terrible organisation sending you fines for traffic violations you didn't commit. 
  • This is a scammers' organisation.
  • I got a ticket after 3 years from the supposed infraction.
  • Impossible to contact them. If you call they tell you to send an email to which they never reply. 
  • Mafia.
I have of course no way of checking whether or not 2,5 years ago I paid that highway toll. It is not a big amount so I will just go ahead and pay, mainly to avoid the hassle that would ensue from disputing the matter further. Life is too short. And I think this might be precisely the game they play on a bigger scale, perhaps even more so with foreign-plated cars. I wouldn't bee too surprised.


2,5 years, murky, no way of checking

Now let me tell you about the ticket I got from the Zürich police:
We have a yearly Residents' Parking Permit, which allows us to park in our neighbourhood's Blue Zone for unlimited time. This permit needs to be renewed every year in January.
It just happened that I missed the deadline for the renewal (January 15th) by a week, because life was being more bitchy than usual and required my undivided attention. I got the new one on January 21st, one whole week of illegal parking, which didn't go unnoticed: the police promptly sent me a parking ticket. 
But together with the ticket for a week of illegal parking, was a form in which I had a chance to explain why I had committed the infraction. So I wrote back attaching a copy of my new Parking Permit saying that I had inadvertently missed the renewal deadline. 

I sent it on Monday. 
Today, Wednesday, I heard back from the police: my fine was reduced, I only had to pay for one hour of illegal parking. A symbolic fine. 


2 days, straightforward, common sense.

And that, my friends, is the difference between living in Switzerland and living in Italy, my home country: the feeling that law abiding citizens are dealing with a fair and benevolent authority, not a despotic thug always finding new ways to corner you and rob you. 


-----------------------------

Questa settimana ho preso ben due multe, una dalla polizia di Zurigo e una dall'Italia. 

La seconda era per un pedaggio autostradale che nel settembre del 2016 secondo loro non avevo pagato. Stranamente la richiesta di pagamento veniva da una compagnia privata mai sentita, che, secondo quello che ho trovato online, è responsabile per la riscossione dei pedaggi di alcune tratte di autostrada. 
Ancora non ero convinta, nonostante conosca bene la passione italiana per la frammentazione e le complicazioni inutili. Allora ho ricercato ancora un po' e mi sono imbattuta in alcune recensioni su questa organizzazione. Non erano esattamente esaltanti:
  • Organizzazione pessima che manda multe per infrazioni non commesse.
  • Organizzazione fraudolenta.
  • Ho ricevuto una multa 3 anni dopo la presunta infrazione.
  • Impossibile contattarli, se telefoni ti dicono di mandare mail a cui non rispondono.
  • Mafia.
E allora che fare? Non posso assolutamente ricordarmi le circostanze in cui 2 anni e mezzo fa possa avere o non avere pagato quel pedaggio. Non è una grossa cifra, e allora la pagherò, più che altro per evitarmi la grana e la perdita di tempo di contestarla. E questa è forse precisamente la loro strategia su larga scala, specialmente con le macchine con targa straniera. Non sarei troppo sorpresa.


2 anni e mezzo, faccenda poco chiara, impossibile rivalersi.

Adesso invece vi racconto della multa che ho ricevuto dalla polizia di Zurigo
Abbiamo un permesso per residenti annuale con cui possiamo parcheggiare la macchina nella Zona Blu del nostro quartiere per tempo illimitato. Questo permesso va rinnovato in gennaio, entro il 15, ma quest'anno è successo che siccome la vita in quel periodo era particolarmente rompiscatole, ho mancato la scadenza di una settimana. Un'intera settimana di parcheggio illegale che non è passata inosservata, e difatti ho ricevuto prontamente la multa. 

Ma insieme alla multa c'era un modulo in cui potevo spiegare le ragioni dell'infrazione, infatti ho subito scritto allegando una copia del nuovo permesso, spiegando che si era trattato di una svista. 
Ho imbucato la busta lunedì pomeriggio. 
Oggi, mercoledì mattina, ho ricevuto la risposta: la multa mi è stata ridotta a un'ora di parcheggio non pagato. Una multa simbolica.


2 giorni, buon senso, trasparenza. 

E questa ragazzi miei è la differenza tra vivere qui in Svizzera e vivere in Italia, il mio povero, disgraziato paese.  La sensazione che i cittadini per bene hanno a che fare con un'autorità giusta e benevola, e non con un'associazione a delinquere che cerca di fotterti

(awesome watercolour by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment